Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Things!

I've been staring at this cursor for a few days now. I explained to Dills recently that I open up this page and have nothing to say. And bless her, she's so good at posting - even the small things - her epic quest for a rug or learning about possum cleaning. See? She's interesting and funny. And now I want to write a whole post about her! 

OK. OK. Back to selfish, big ol' me. I am 30 weeks pregnant guys and I should probably be freaking out. Only I am not even though I have 9 weeks left of being childless. So now I am starting to freak out about not freaking out which really means that I will have a MASSIVE freakout right after the baby comes and I have no idea what to do. 

Good things: 
- Daddy Raptor built the crib from IKEA and the daybed from IKEA so our nursery is coming together! Honestly, that man has endless patience with teeny tiny pieces and no word instructions. He's going to be ACES as a dad. He claims its from years of Legos and building models. Friendly tip single ladies - MARRY A GEEK! They looove to build shit and you get out of dealing it. Unless you love it then marry someone who hates it. Seriously though he would tighten a screw, the plank would fall over and he would just pick it up and do it again. After this happened five times I took my leave. Apparently sitting in the rocker and watching him NOT get frustrated pushed me over the edge. Don't you wish you were married to me? 

- Three Baby Showers. GUYS THREE BABY SHOWERS. I have so many things. SO. MANY. THINGS. And I still need more things! Like a stroller! And a car seat!  And a baby! So the nursery mentioned above is a bit in shambles. Bags everywhere. Adorable baby art to be hung. Teeny socks to be washed. Thank You cards waiting to be written. THINGS! Yes yes yes yes ... Good things. AMAZING THINGS. Like the mustache paci from our cousins Amy, Jen & Carrie - clearly in the boy camp. Or the gorgeous little owl in our nursery colors from my friend Mel who MADE IT. Like with her own two hands. To make no mention of my friend Meesh who handmade a blanket and two bibs - IN ONE DAY.  My people are awesome. 

- People keep telling me I carry this pregnancy well. I have been handing out $5 bills to keep the compliments coming. 

 Bad Things:
- People are lying about me carrying this pregnancy well. I think it has to do with the $5. My over-sized sweatpants are tiiiiiight. 
- Sleeping and the lack therof. 
- Working and the abundance thereof. Shit's been going down at work y'all. It ain't cute. 
- Freaking out over not freaking out. 
- Vag punches that also result in the occasional lung kick. Yeah that happens. 



 

 

2 comments:

  1. Ha! First, bless YOU for insinuating that any of those posts are all interesting. Second, you are getting into that weird zone where you're totally prepared (stuff-wise), and all you can do is wait and simultaneously wish that it would hurry up and happen and wonder how the hell you will survive when it does.

    I'm sure everyone is telling you this, but do everything in your power to enjoy this time. Do all the things that will be so freaking complicated to do for the next decade, the things that people like me hope to find a magic rock that can grant them just one. more. day, of these things.
    Like:
    1) Sleeping in. If you can't sleep, just lay there and enjoy the fact that no one is screaming from the other room and/or crawling in your bed and sticking his elbow in your face.

    2) Watching TV. Whatever you want. Not worrying about if little Johnny is going to walk in and overhear something from Law & Order: SVU that will scar him for life. Watch it before all you watch is Nick Jr. and you memorize all the theme songs to all the kids shows and start figuring out harmonies.

    3) Sitting at the table on the weekend enjoying your breakfast. Make pancakes. Read the paper. I finally got around to cutting out the coupons from a Sunday paper I was hanging on to and they were already all expired.

    4) Go out to eat with that patient, geeky husband of yours (I second the reco to marry a geek, BTW). Sure, you'll be able to take the baby when it's a newborn, but you'll still be worrying about if it's about to cry/needs to eat/just pooped.

    5) Take a nap.

    6) Go to the movies. For whatever reason, this is one past time that has completely gone out the window. In the ten days I was overdue with Noah, we must have gone to four movies. And that's probably the number we've gone to since he was born. Seriously, the last one I saw in the theater may have been 21 Jump Street.

    I could go on, but I think you get the drift. Oh Lordy, these last weeks are hard, there's no question. Hope you can take it easy a bit and enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dill: I honestly don't feel prepared for anything. I have stuff but no organization thereof. Again with the THINGS!

    But I did take your advice:
    1) We're having a movie date Saturday night Thor & burritos. I still need to be in bed by 1030.
    2) We've been taking extra time in the AM to just lay around together.
    3) We don't sit at the table b/c we're American and eat in front of the TV. But we do enjoy our TV Time with Jon Stewart and Tosh.
    4) Napping happens every weekend. Don't you worry about that!

    Can I take a moment to be like... NOTHING WILL CHANGE! We will have an idyllic baby who never throws up and sleeps through the night?

    OK - moment over.

    ReplyDelete